30 May 2011

A good day at the mailbox

A box of toys came from Rattlehead Games today! 

From Dark Realm Miniatures, the Velum Cruiser.  I selected it to complement the Ravenstar Lief Ericson, and it looks like I called it pretty good.  I see the two ships as representing the product of two different design traditions approaching the same engineer problem -- in my "universe" the problem of wilderness refueling from a gas giant atmosphere.  The Velum comes with a pair of retro-streamlined looking fins that make the resemblance even greater.

From Ninja Magic, two Jun-ila ships, the Huala Frigate (closest) and (in a 3-pack) the Hamuiya Corvette.  Both are clean, symmetrical designs and very nicely cast.  The both (but the Huala especially) strike me as being a great blend of the level of symmetry I expect in a realistic future warship with a real otherness that does not look retro or NASA its origin.  My fleet will need more of these, but right now this is a nice little squadron.





Another view, showing jets that will look right with blazing fusion plasma!

I also picked up a set of Ninja Magic magnetic adapters, and a pack of their general purpose 40mm lead flight bases.  The bases have real heft, and should be able to give good support to maneuvers by pretty hefty ships.  I am looking forward to trying the combinations out.



If your are interested in my future history project, I am blogging it here.  Right now I am working through star-mapping and FTL travel issues.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm beggining on the spaceship gaming as well. Already have some fleets done so I decided to put up a blog about it, too.

    Check it out!

    http://myevergrowingfleets.blogspot.com/

    Hope to see more posts on your blog. Let's know how things are going with your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matgc, those are nice looking ships! There will be more posts, I am just having a somewhat relaxed summer; painting is great for winter.

    ReplyDelete